So I guess after my surgery I will be meeting with an oncologist to discuss the next course of treatment. Because I tested positive for the HER2 receptors, it is recommended to have a type of chemotherapy that specifically targets those receptors. (Herceptin is the name of this drug, for you medical people reading this!) I guess if it is used alone, it doesn't have the same side effects that many chemo drugs do. The bummer part is that the usual regimen is once every three weeks for 52 weeks.
Also, given that my KI 67 score (another test from the biopsy which predicts the chance of recurrence) was 51%, this also is criteria for being more aggressive with treatment.
Again, until I have the surgery, we won't know if there is lymph node involvement. I'm still very hopeful there is not! If there is,however, I may need another type of chemo drug along with the herceptin. So still need lots of prayers on that one! Thanks!
Genetic testing was also recommended from the board. Just as a precautionary measure for offspring and siblings. However, irregardless, ALL of you gals should be getting screening mammos at the appropriate time! If I had waited on this one, it could have been much more devastating considering the nature of my particular cancer.
So that was part of my roller coaster ride yesterday.
I also went in and got preregistered at Renown for the surgery.
Now I just need to find someone to stay with the doggies while we're gone for a day or two! My usual pet sitters both have jobs now!! Yay for David and Chris!!!'
And so it goes...<3